Monday, January 30, 2012

To Be a Rock and Not To Roll

If you've noticed, I don't usually refer to rock music as just rock, but rather the full title of rock and roll. Why is that? I guess it's because it sounds more dynamic! But what really separates rock and roll from plain old rock musically? Some say the first real separation between the two came in the mid to late sixties when the original rock and roll era of the 1950s and early 1960s gave way to the harder edged styles such as garage rock, psychedelic rock, and acid rock of the later 1960s and the creation of hard rock. However if you asked me, I would give you the same reason as I did for the reason I use the term rock and roll more than just plain rock; It sounds more dynamic. When I say rock and roll, I'm usually talking about the best, purest, most dynamic, most unadulterated forms of rock music. For example (and this is just my opinion, bear with me), Van Halen is hard rock, but I still call it rock and roll because it's dynamic! Van Halen makes me want to bust out the old air guitar and practice my Eddie Van Halen stage moves, it makes me want to sing and dance like David Lee Roth. On the other end of the spectrum is bands like Nickelback or Linkin Park who, even though they are rock acts, are so joyless and bland that they aren't what I would call true rock and roll. Remember, these are my thoughts as a fan and I'm no expert, but I believe Lemmy Kilmister once said in the song Overkill, "Rock and roll ain't worth the name if it don't make you strut!"

No comments:

Post a Comment