Thursday, March 20, 2014

Post band breakup syndrome

I haven't posted in ages, but I decided to change the title of my blog in light of past events. Also, the persona of Wesley Rose, the whiskey and beer swilling rocker has died along with the old band. I'll be honest, I prefer it that way.
I didn't want to join a band for the booze or the groupies. I didn't even want to touch drugs, or cigarettes for that matter. My time away from the old band was spent mostly working, but also finding myself. In fact a new band, the Aaron Vincent band, rose from the ashes of Whiskey Rose, and despite too much down time, we've been going strong ever since!
In that time, I have learned to embrace my inner geek as well. I realized that no matter what my rock star persona was, I was still just a nice, "normal" geek who just wanted to hang with his friends, watch movies, play video games, and discuss the facts of life. I even became a workaholic, which nearly destroyed my social life and band life, but at least I was getting paid right?
Honestly there was a long time when I haven't seen any shows or even listened to a lot of rock music. I started to become disillusioned with the whole music scene in which I was once part of the family. I once thought that everyone came to shows because they cared about the music and wanted to meet others who care about music. After a while though, I saw the whole scene in a different light; everyone appeared to be immature, drunken, drugged up, sex addicted scumbags who listened to noise and judged others for political or religious beliefs or for being educated or well off, and I din't fit in. Now I'm no bible thumping prude, but most of my "real" friends are some denomination of Christian and have graduated high school or were in University, so they'd probably get beat up if they came to any of the shows I've played. 
I think I have finally come to terms with that part of me though. I still want to go back to seeing shows and playing gigs as often as I can. I still live for the stage, and I still love rock and roll! The best thing though, is the fact that I could go on stage completely sober and still have the time of my life! That said I would like to g start playing more hard rock again, but I can't complain. As for Whiskey Rose, I wish the former members all the best and have no ill will left towards them.

No comments:

Post a Comment